Friday 8 October 2010

CANAL NAVIGATION

I had a pleasant few hours along the Forth and Clyde Canal this week as the Carseview Drive Dramblers were out for a long 9 mile walk from Kirkintilloch to Wyndford Lock 20, the one east of Auchinstarry Basin. I only did a bit of it; the day was fine and proved exceptional for my photo-shoot.

After setting off (twice!) in the wrong direction I marched along the canal and took these photos.

I am (still!) really bad at navigation! I first set off along a path only to find there was no canal. "M-m-m ... this can't be right." So I went back and started again. This time the sun was in my eyes and I thought "Why is the morning sun in my eyes when I am supposed to be heading west?" You guessed it: I was (as usual) 180 degrees out. Believe me, over the years I have often been known to head off in completely the wrong direction. And what was really worrying to me was my certainty of being right! Iain has an equation: BB = CB + 180 degrees! (Barbie's Bearing Plus 180 Degrees). At least now I know enough to doubt my direction.







No comments: