Saturday 16 January 2010

A SUGARY SOLUTION

It has been a really bad week with temperatures sitting just under freezing. That meant that the snow has been lying for upwards of 3 weeks. The big problem, really, is ice. Everthing is frozen. The main streets are cleared or treated with salt; the side streets, alleys, paths, car parks, lanes are not. The only non-slip place to walk, if walk you must, is down the centre of the road.

However, the temperature is slowly rising today and the white stuff is starting to go. I must say, I have never been so glad to see the rain, i.e. the stuff falling out of the sky in liquid, not solid, form. Our prevailing weather comes from the south-west. It is wet and mild. The last 3 weeks have seen the weather coming from the east and north-east.

The only thing to do when stuck inside is to get into the kitchen. So I made marmalade. (I did go out last week to get milk for my neighbour and oursleves. While slowly negotiating icy steps in the local park en route to Tesco's my feet went from under me and down I went on my bum. However, I was low down and had plenty of padding on which to land, therefore did not suffer any damage. It did, however, make me 'fearty' - afraid!)


2 comments:

Vagabonde said...

I know what you mean about ice – this is what we had instead of snow, but it lasted only 2 days. Your marmalade looks so delicious. I must be so good on warm toast or English muffins. I have so much homemade fig jam, I wish I could exchange some with you.

Jinksy said...

How warming and cheery are the little orange pots?!