Monday 16 November 2009

SQUINTY STANES OF SCONE

Scone Palace in Perthshire is where in ancient times Kings of Scotland were crowned so it is historically very significant. Alas, it is a place I have never been, that is, until this weekend when I found myself in Perth with a 'freebie' ticket in my hand to attend an Antique Event in this illustrious location.

Sandy and Leslie, now away on a cruise ship, passed on their invitation and I was delighted to have the chance to spend time browsing the lovely Royal Doulton, Chinese embroidery, not to mention fishing rods and stuffed animals. (This is Perthsire, after all!)

Well, it certainly is a slice of society; I do not know much about antiques - lots to learn!

After I left the (very beautiful) interior I headed out to the garden and wandered around the Old Scone graveyard. The Scone Palace website gives some history and brief descriptions here.

The angle of this wall would make the Leaning Tower of Pisa look positively upright!

Wandering 'mongst the graveyeard it would appear that just about everything there was 'squint' (a good Scottish - ?British? - word for crooked).

More squinty stanes (Scottish for 'stones').

Finally, around the back of the chapel (in front of which is the stone throne where Kings of Scotland were crowned), my eye caught these modern gravestones (next to the wall of the church).

There is a grey and a light maroon (what I take to be) St Andrews' Cross mounted on a stone base. Then there is a (familiar) crucifix and another one to its right which is a Celtic Cross. In the foreground on the right is a Celtic Cross (buff coloured).

Anyhow, I am at a loss to know anything about the 2 modern X shaped cross forming those (?fairly recent?) gravestones.

And, I keep having to remind myself, it is pronounced "Scoon" as in "moon".

No comments: