Thursday 5 November 2009

SCOTTISH FIDDLING TRADITION - A SLICE

Our children's orchestra - Bearsden Young Fiddlers - is preparing for their 10th Anniversary Concert which is taking place this Saturday, 7 pm, in Cairns Church, Milngavie.

I took some photos for publicity at the rehearsal this week. This image is a web-friendly contribution.


I am here to say that, in Scotland, there are lots of young folk out there with their fiddles whether in orchestras, their friends' kitchen or in formal competitions.

On that note (oops, sorry about the pun) Bob and Kate invited me to join them last Sunday to drive to Blair Atholl to be part of the audience at the Glenfiddich Fiddle Championships (taking place in Blair Castle).


Sitting in the great hall opposite the painting* of Neil Gow we listened to 8 invited young competitors play their Slow Airs, Marches, Strathspeys and Reels as well as selected pieces by William Marshall (of whom I have written elsewhere in this blog).

As a member of the audience (of about 300) it is always fun to try and pick the overall winner. I put my 'money' on this gal ... Rebecca Lomnicky: you will have to go to her website which is a blog about her day ... and, wait for it! .... she won!

And well deserved!

For once I did something right: As it happened, I went up to her at half time and said I thought she played absolutely perfectly ... 10 out 10. As you can see, she is still in High School and lives in Corvallis, Oregon.

_______________________________________________________________
Source: Wikipedia. (My photo is rubbish!)

No comments: