Tuesday 27 October 2009

QUARK SOLUTION - FILE ERROR 39

I use a desk-top publishing software package called QuarkXpress. I use it to produce a yachting publication (and other minor bits and pieces). It is quite sophisticated but frankly can be flakey. That is the bad news. The good news is that I am learning that if I have trouble try Google for a solution. The hard part is getting the right terminology. I keep telling myself that the answer will be there somewhere, just keep googling (that way one learns the lingo which makes all the difference)!

Well, I solved a problem today and because I couldn't find the exact answer on Google I thought I would post the problem with its solution here.

Problem: Using Mac OSX and QuarkXpress 6.5 I appear to have corrupted a file (showed 0 kb). When I went to open the (recently used) file I got End of File error -39.

Solution: In Finder, I took the corrupted file and dragged it on to the Desktop. Then I dragged the file onto the Quark (lotus) icon in sidebar. Bingo! It opened! And it was all there.

I do not know why or how it got that way nor how it recovered .. but it worked.


No comments: