Tuesday 27 October 2009

AUTUMN GATHERING

I was digging in the garden last week as the weather was mild and balmy. I hadn't been out long (it was late morning) when I became aware of a lot of birds settling in the trees around me.

Using the telephoto lens (as I don't have binocculars to hand) I took these 2 photos. I don't know what they are... starlings? In the city centre of Glasgow there are often large numbers of starlings settling on the ledges of the Victorian buildings. Actually they can be a real nuisance; nets have been put up to try and deter them.

It is quite fascinating to watch them swirl around, settle, chatter-chatter-chatter and then all of a sudden they move off. It can only be across the little park next door as it is possible to hear the sound of them off and on all morning.

I'm not quite sure what is going on. Are they preparing to head off somewhere? Is it about establishing the pecking order (oops...sorry about the pun)? Is it about who can make the loudest bird sound? I wouldn't say they were 'singing' ; it was more like 'chattering' and, indeed, all at the same time.


No comments: