Thursday 9 July 2009

TOLLCROSS PARK

Glasgow Parks Department have to be congratulated for the work they do for beautifying the city. Kay told me that Tollcross Park, on the city's east side, was worth visiting - and so it was!

It is a part of the city which has its share of housing and health problems. But someone, somewhere has done wonders with the large park full of rose beds (as well as play areas, leisure centre and children's farm).


I talked to a gardener who told me about the International Rose Trials. New rose varieties are planted each year and once established, the roses are regularly inspected by a panel of experts. Then in August an International Panel of rose experts carries out the final assessment of varieties on trial.

New Rose varieties are submitted by Rose Breeders and Rose Growers from various countries to assess new varieties growing in climatic conditions common to Glasgow and the West of Scotland. This one, above, is a small bush which is like the roses that grow wild along lanes and roadsides.

This rose was perfect in its symmetry.

These photos were taken with my iPhone as an experiment. I definitely will have to return with the big camera to do justice to the vast floral display!

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

I used to pay close attention to all the rose trials when I belong to the Rose Society, but since I am no longer a member I do not know which are the best new roses. We have too many pines trees here in our garden and the roses need full sun.