Saturday 4 July 2009

DUNIRA IN SUMMER

We have been staying at Dunira in Perthshire (east of Comrie) for a few days. The weather was hot and a bit humid. However one night the thunderstorms arrived and soaked the place for most of one evening.

Mairi and John's flat is on the upper right. The Square was looking very summery with the trellis of red roses in full bloom.

Mairi and Ishie arrived on Saturday and while Mairi worked in the flat Ishie and I spent time together in the garden.

The lavendar is profuse so we picked a bunch which will be good to have drying out in my wee study-bedroom. Ishie and I walked the circumference of the garden smelling each of the various flowers on the bushes. She hasn't quite got the hang of breathing when she puts her nose to the flower but I am sure with trial and error she will eventually catch a perfume if we do it enough times!

What we did enjoy was watching the swallows swoop back and forth to their nest above our head where we sat on the garden bench. With the telephoto lens I managed to get a fairly good shot of these 2 chicks sticking their head out of their nest under the eave of the house.

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

Your grand-daughter is so sweet looking. I love lavender – the first 3 years of my life I was brought up in Provence, and to this day I sleep with a lavender sachet under my pillow. You know, various types of lavenders have a different smell. I remember buying some lavender from the Queen’s gift shop, grown on the royal estate of Sandringham in Norfolk, then I bought some cologne from the Woods of Windsor, in Windsor, then some Lavende de Provence in Digne les Bains and another one in Antibes, and they all had a slightly different scent – quite interesting. I just brought some back from Columbus, Ohio where they grow in my daughter’s front yard. I also have to admit that I cannot go to bed without spraying some lavender cologne on my neck – it makes me go to sleep faster (so I believe…)