Thursday 2 April 2009

HOSTS OF DAFFODILS

It really made my day to hear from not one but 2 ladies 'out there'. One was Jane - a friend from our days at school in Salmon Arm (she now lives in Kelowna) and another 'Vagabonde' - someone who discovered me through the MV Aurora topic I posted in September 2007.

Jane says there is still a lot of snow in her part of British Columbia. She contacted me to say how much she enjoyed the daffodils! So - for her - here a some more! It was such a gorgeous day today I put any chores on hold and headed out with the camera to see what yellow bobbing heads I could find.
Helensburgh is south facing and the whole place really did have a smile on its face all day as it was bathed in glorious sunshine! Yellow dafs are all along Sinclair Street as you head out towards Loch Lomond.

On the street where we live, but further up the hill, is Hill House, now a National Trust property and best known for its distinctive architecture (inside and out) , i.e. that of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The house and grounds opened a couple of days ago for the season so I popped in to see if there were any daffs in the grounds. These clumps (above) are on the south side. A fuller description of the property is in another post here.

Pick to the bunch today, however, was Lesley and Sandy's splendid show right outside their door. It was about 5:30 pm - that magic hour for lighting.

And just before the sun disappeared, wee Alastair turned up with Mum and Ishie, back home from Nursery. Here is Alastair's wee Martian 'doll' hiding in the (miniature) dafs at the back door.

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

Those daffodils are lovely - I used to have 3 bulbs (that all!) in my backyards but they did not come back up this year; however, my pink azalea bush is almost in full bloom. I am not much of a gardener so I have never pruned it. I received the plant many many years ago, in a small pot, and now - voila! it is higher than me. I'll try to take a picture of it and download it on my blog, but I just received the laptop this evening and it will be a while before it is running. Cheers