Wednesday 16 July 2008

KNIT WIT

A sock crisis occurred today. I got to the point of turning the heel and couldn't get it right. Although Iain's mother taught me how to do a Dutch Heel on a sock I simply couldn't make sense of the pattern I brought with me, nor could I recall how I used to do it in the days when I knitted socks for hiking boots.


So nothing for it but I had to go find some help. The nice lady in the Sewing Shop told me that while none of them were knitters there was a group that gathered at Tim Horton's Coffee Shop on the Trans-Canada Highway downtown every Monday night. Perfect!

Sabina sorted me ... as usual I don't seem to know my left from my right!

This certainly is a good way to meet people when you don't know anyone - or very few - in town. What do Ladies in Salmon Arm Who Knit talk about on a summer's evening? Well all those things that occupy them in this part of the country where fruit, berries and vegetables are abundant: making jam, canning, freezing and the like. "We may be bushed but we'll never be short of food!" It starts in June and finishes in the autumn - exactly as it did years ago with my mother and, no doubt, her mother.

So Ishie (and/or wee Alastair) will eventually get some hand-knitted socks. The only problem is that instead of being for a 2 year old, by the looks of things, they are more for a 12 year old!

No comments: