Thursday 20 December 2007

A CHRISTMAS SWALLY

Of the many Glasgow words that I just love, my favourite is: "swally"! I first came across this, years ago, when Tony in the BSRU workshop said to me on the Friday afternoon before the Christmas break, "You'll be joining us for a Christmas swally!" "A what?" "A swally ... a drink!"

So nothing for it, but time to have the neighbours 'round for a swally. All very pleasant; I explained that it would be nothing fancy, just putting our feet up in front of the fire with a bottle of the good stuff. Normally I'd go for a dram, but we had 2 bottles of Montana Chardonnay Pino Noir Brut CuvĂ©e– sparkling wine from New Zealand – left over from our 40th anniversary party. Once chilled in the cooler (i.e. porch in temperatures just above freezing) it was the perfect drink for the occasion.

No comments: