Tuesday 30 October 2007

THE WIND'YS ARE LUVELY

A funny thing happened on the way to the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh today. I stepped off the bus and was admiring this lovely building 2 doors along from the bus station. It is the Royal Bank of Scotland which was formerly a Big Hoose built in 1727. It was a glorious autumn day and I wanted to take a photo. With my eye on the flag-pole (centre) I patiently waited, looking through the camera lens for the 'moment' when the RBS blue and white flag would catch the breeze and unfurl.

Just then, a wee woman passing by tapped me on the shoulder saying "Lady, you better look out!" as there was a large truck heading towards where I was standing in the gated entrance.

Well, we fell into conversation which is actually a very Glasgow thing, if I may say. Wouldn't you know it she was a Glasgow wifey who now lives just south of the Edinburgh "Da Vinci Country" (meaning Rosslyn). Her Glasgow chat was, of course, a delight.

Next door to the bank and opposite us was Harvey Nichols department store (below) with its beautifully dressed (read 'expensive') window displays.


Her philosophy regarding life in Edinburgh and environs as compared to Glasgow was reflected (oops ... a pun...) in her summary of what we were both looking at: "The wind'ys are luvely but I wouldny gie much for what's inside"!!!

If there is one thing Edinburgh has a plenty of it's wind'ys! Must visit again and do some more of this! Maybe I'll even meet 'herself' again!


And lastly, back to the beginning - St Andrews Square - before catching the bus.

1 comment:

Cornflower said...

What a super portrait of Edinburgh (and I'm inclined to agree with your lady's comment on HN !).