Saturday 27 October 2007

COOKIE GUISE

It is coming up for Hallowe'een when the guisers come to the door for their treats after saying their party-piece.

Here is a 'party-piece' in the form of an urban myth (in yet another 'guise') which is doing the rounds just now. It made me laugh! One should just leave it at that, of course but it shows how we all like to be on the side of David when there is a Goliath to be brought down.

The Neiman-Marcus Cookie Story*

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in when decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers we decided to try the Neiman-Marcus Cookie. It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not." "Well" I said, "would you let me buy the recipe?" She said, "Yes." I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty." "Just add it to my tab."

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement and it was $285.00! I glanced at the bottom of the statement where it said: Cookie Recipe $250.00.
"That's outrageous!" I called Neiman's Accounting Deptartment and told them the waitress said it was "two-fifty" which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. Basically it was "Do what you want ... we're not refunding your money."

"Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun."
I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for free. She replied," I wish you wouldn't do that."

And the various forms of this story end with : This is a true story. Pass it on.

How these things get going and how they recur through the years in their various guises is told here.


Oh ... the recipe? Nieman-Marcus give it out for free here.

_____________________________________________________
* a colation of various versions on the web
Photo 'For the Cookie Monster' by Catherine Loh. Permission given.


No comments: